– Course : Mauritanian pepper steak with coconut
– Cuisine : Mauritanian
– Prep Time : 15 minutes
– Cook Time : 45 minutes
– Total Time : 60 minutes
- 1 1/2 pounds skirt steak, cut into thin strips
- 1 coconut (water reserved) with flesh cut into strips the same size as beef
- 4 green bell peppers, cut into strips the same size as the beef
- 1 hot chili pepper, finely sliced
- peanut or canola oil for frying
- 1 Tbsp. salt
- 1 tsp. black pepper
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 6 drops Tabasco
- 2 Tbsp. soy sauce
- 2 beef bouillons
- 4 Tbsp. Cornflour
1. Add the oil to a large frying pan and add the salt, black pepper, garlic and Tabasco. Fry the peppers and chili in this seasoned oil for 2 minutes, then add the steak and fry for another 2 minutes before adding the coconut strips and frying for another 2 minutes.
2. Mix the coconut water with enough water to make 1 3/4 cups, and bring to a boil. Add the soy sauce and beef bouillon then mix the cornflour with 1/4 cup water for a paste. Add this to the coconut water mixture and stir to incorporate. Continue stirring the mixture over low heat until the sauce thickens.
3. Final Assessment: Surprisingly tasty and good. I wish I could have sliced the coconut even more thinly, but the dudes in residence liked the crunch of the fruit combined with the spicy meat and sauce. 6 thumbs up from my in-house food critics.
4. Place the meat mixture on a bed of rice and spoon the sauce over the top before serving.