– Course : Mauritanian vermicelli
– Cuisine : Mauritanian
– Prep Time : 15 minutes
– Cook Time : 45 minutes
– Total Time : 60 minutes
- 1kg fine vermicelli pasta
- 2 medium carrots, diced
- 50g French (green) beans, trimmed and cut into 2cm lengths
- 1kg onions
- 20g butter
- 1 garlic clove salt, to taste
- 1kg chicken or beef or goat meat
- oil for frying
- 50g raisins
- 2 Maggi (or stock) cubes
1. Bring a pan of water to a boil, add the vermicelli to a steamer basket and steam for 20 minutes. Take off the heat and turn into a bowl. Moisten with a little water and season with a little salt.
2. Stir to combine then turn back into the steamer basket and continue steaming for 20 minutes more.Turn the vermicelli into a bowl, add a little water and stir to combine then add the butter and stir to mix. Place the pasta back in the steamer basket and steam for 20 minutes more, or until cooked through.
3. In the meantime, cut the meat into bite-sized pieces and fry in a little oil until nicely browned all over. Slice the onions into rings and fry in the pan with the meat for about 4 minutes or until softened. Add the garlic and crush in the Maggi cubes. Fry for 1 minute then season to taste with salt. Add enough water to just cover the ingredients, bring to a boil then add the carrots and green beans.
4. Reduce to a simmer, cover and cook for about 20 minutes, or until the meat is tender. Drain the meat and vegetable mix (reserve the stock). Stir in the cooked vermicelli and the raisins. Add enough of the reserved stock to moisten the ingredients then mix to combine, allow to heat through and serve immediately.