– Course : Yassa Chicken
– Cuisine : Mauritanian
– Prep Time : 15 minutes
– Cook Time : 45 minutes
– Total Time : 60 minutes
- 2 1/2 -3 pounds Chicken(thighs, legs or breast), skin- on
- 1-2 lemon sliced, divided
- 2 Large Onions Sliced (divided)
- 4 cloves garlic, minced (divided)
- 1-2 Bay leaf
- 2 cubes Maggie (1 Tablespoon Chicken Bouillon)
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 2 Tablespoons Dijon or grain mustard .
- 1 Scotch bonnet pepper (replace with about 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper, adjust to taste)
- 1 cup or more chicken stock or water
1. Trim chicken of excess fat and pat dry with a cloth or paper napkin ; salt and pepper
2. Add , onions , 1 teaspoon of minced garlic, and Maggie to the chicken. And let it marinate in the fridge about for 2 hours , preferably overnight
3. Preheat a hot barbecue, grill, griddle or frying pan.
4. Place chicken on the grill coated with cooking spray; grill 5 minutes on each side or until browned.
5. If using stove top brown chicken on both sides about 5-6 minutes per side , remove and set aside.
6. Heat up sauce pan on medium heat , add oil , remaining onions , remaining garlic , bay leaves, mustard and the remains of the marinade left over from the chicken. Cook for about 5 minutes .
7. Add chicken to the saucepan and bring to a simmer over low heat, spooning the sauce over the chicken to coat.
Add about a cup of water or chicken stock, lightly season with salt and chicken bouillon or Maggie . cover and cook until the chicken is cooked through about 18-20 minutes .
8. Adjust seasonings ; salt, pepper and Maggie to taste . Turn off heat – remove bayleaf .
9. Arrange the chicken on a plate, top with the lemon and mustard sauce over it. Garnish with the remaining lemon half and serve.