– Course : Light Soup
– Cuisine : Nigerian
– Prep Time : 15 minutes
– Cook Time : 45 minutes
– Total Time : 60 minutes
- 4 large tomatoes
- 2 medium-sited onions
- 3 cloves of garlic
- 2 chillies (or more if you wish)
- 1 root ginger
- 1 whole soup chicken – chopped into pieces
(alt: any vegetables of your choosing/ and other type of meat/fresh or smoked fish)
- salt and pepper to taste (± 2 teaspoons of chicken stock _ alt: fish/beef/vegetable stock)
- a small handful of torn basil
1. In a large pot, combine all the ingredients with 1,5 litres of water. Boil on high heat for 20 minutes before taking out the tomatoes, onion, garlic, chillies and ginger.
2. Blend these together and return to pot. Cooking time for chicken may vary according to the quantity.
3. When the chicken is tender, lower the heat and stir in the basil. Let it simmer for a few more minutes before serving.
Photo Credit: African Food Map