– Course : Mpoto Mpoto
– Cuisine : Ghana
– Prep Time : 20 minutes
– Cook Time : 25 minutes
– Total Time : 45 minutes
- 250g of peeled and cubed Yam
- 500ml of Fish stock
- 2 tablespoonfuls of Zomi (Spiced Palm oil).
- 1 large diced Onion
- 1 chopped green chilli
- 250g of shelled Prawns (or smoked Fish)
- 1 teaspoonful of Shrimp powder or Shrimp stock
- 20g of finely chopped spring onions and Green chillies(optional)
- Salt to taste.
1. Place the Yam cubes and Fish stock in a saucepan on a medium heat. (Cubed Yams cooks quicker, however you can slice them as shown below). Boil for 10-12 minutes.
2. In a frying pan, melt the Zomi (don’t burn it as you’ll loose the beautiful flavour of the Zomi).
3. Add the diced Onions and fry gently for 2 minutes.
4. Add the chilli and Shrimp powder and fry for another minute.
5. Transfer the oil mixture (Zomi, Onions, Shrimp powder and Chilli) to the boiling Yam.
6. Add salt to taste.
7. Cook for a further 8 minutes
8. Add the Prawns and cook for another 2 minutes.
9. The Yam at this stage will have a mushy and slightly firm consistency.
1. Mash the Yam further with a wooden spoon (careful not to mash into a smooth paste). It’s best to have some Yam bites as this gives the dish the perfect texture.
2. Cover the mixture for a further 2 minutes (the steam will cook the Prawns further).
3. Serve warm and sprinkle with chopped Spring Onions (which is optional) and enjoy!